Learn how to be an effective team member of a close-knit group. Enjoy fun games, hiking, swimming, camping, and campfires. Gain new outdoor skills and practice basic leadership skills. Learn how to help keep the group together and get the job done.
Learn about small teams
In the Patrol Membership Development program, you’ll learn about the roles people play in small groups and what you can do to make a difference. You’ll practice communication skills and sharing leadership. You’ll learn how important it is to set the example, especially when others are not! You’ll get to practice evaluating how the team is doing and how well the job is getting done.
Learn outdoors skills
During the Patrol Member Development program, you’ll learn new camping skills to help you feel more independent and able to take care of yourself. We also use the outdoor skills to help you learn leadership skills.
Gain basic leadership skills
As a youth preparing to enter high school, you’ll learn:
- Leadership means to help keep the group together and get the job done.
- The responsibilities of a patrol member, individually and collectively.
- How to assume leadership roles usually available to youth 11-13 years old, like:
- School band section leader
- Scout Patrol Leader
- Team captain
- 4-H club officer
- Class officer
- Five beginning leadership skills, including:
- Setting the Example
- Getting and Giving Information
- Knowing and Using the Resources of the Group
- The Patrol Method
What you need to know
To attend the Patrol Member Development (Phase 1) program, you need to meet these qualifications:
- Be 11 years old or have graduated from the 5th grade.
- Previous hiking or camping experience is helpful but not required.
What you do
You take an overnight backpack trip about 3-5 miles long. There are lots of team-related games, leadership development activities, and swimming, campfires, skits, songs, and lots of camp yells.
Space is limited
Reserve your space at summer camp today. Space is limited and we are likely to reach our capacity soon. Apply today!